The most important part of any media interview is your messaging. But if you opt for a TV interview or perhaps Facebook Live, visual elements also matter.
Women Media Pros Bella Shaw and Suzanne Spurgeon created these how-to videos a few years back. Check out our tips on makeup and dressing for the camera.
A few visual tips for businessmen who are new to TV interviews:
- Don't shave right before a TV interview. Nothing distracts from your messaging like a bleeding razor cut.
- Make sure your jacket isn't bunched up at the neck. Just give it a quick tug at the bottom when you sit down.
- If you aren't comfortable with a makeup foundation, try a light dusting of translucent powder to avoid shine. Blotting papers also do the trick.
- You may love a wild tie, but consider if it matches your messaging or if you should opt for something more traditional.
- Don't over-accessorize. A tie clip, pocket square, lapel flower and giant watch should never be wore together.
Regardless of gender, you want to feel comfortable in your clothing on camera. That way you can focus on what you're saying and how you're saying it, and not fidget over fashion.